For more information about developing applications for the Symbian platform, select Help > Index and look for Platform Notes, or see Platform Notes - Symbian.
Hardware and Software Requirements
Windows is the only development platform for the Symbian target supported at the moment.
For deploying and running applications on the device, you need the following:
- The Nokia USB drivers that come with PC Suite or Ovi Suite
- The App TRK application for your device
- The qt_installer.sis package installed on the device, that is delivered with the Qt SDK
- Qt Mobility APIs installed on the device, if you use them in applications
To run your applications in the Symbian emulator, you also need to install Carbide.c++ v2.0.0 or higher.
Installing Required Applications on Devices
The Nokia Qt SDK installation program creates shortcuts for installing the required applications on Symbian devices (you can also use any of the standard methods for installing applications on devices):
- Connect the device to the development PC with an USB cable in PC Suite Mode. If you have not previously used the device with Ovi Suite or PC Suite, all the necessary drivers are installed automatically. This takes approximately one minute.
- Choose Start > Nokia Qt SDK > Symbian > Install Qt to Symbian device and follow the instructions on the screen to install Qt 4.6.2 libraries on the device.
- Choose Start > Nokia Qt SDK > Symbian > Install QtMobility to Symbian device and follow the instructions on the screen to install Qt mobility libraries on the device.
- Choose Start > Nokia Qt SDK > Symbian > Install TRK to Symbian device and follow the instructions on the screen to install the TRK debugging application on the device.
Note: To check the Symbian platform version of your device, see Device Details.
Note: If errors occur during the installation, copy the .sis files from <NokiaQtSDK_install_path>\Symbian\sis to the device using USB storage mode. Then install them from the file manager on the device.
Adding Symbian Platform SDKs
Nokia Qt SDK contains all the tools you need for developing Qt applications for Symbian devices. To use Symbian APIs directly in your applications, you can install additional Symbian Platform SDKs:
- S60 Platform SDK 3rd Edition FP1 or higher.
- Either the GCCE ARM Toolchain that is included in the Symbian SDKs, or RVCT 2.2 [build 686] or later (which is not available free of charge)(Your environment needs to find the compiler in the PATH).
- Qt for Symbian 4.6.2 or later, installed into the Symbian SDKs you want to use.
Setting Up Qt Creator
When you run Qt Creator after installing the Symbian SDK and Qt for Symbian, the installed SDKs and their corresponding Qt versions are automatically detected. For each detected Symbian SDK with Qt, a special entry is made in the Qt version management settings in Tools > Options... > Qt4 > Qt Versions.
Note: If you manually add a Qt version for Symbian, you must also manually specify the Symbian SDK to use for this version.
If you want to run your applications in the Symbian emulator, you need to point Qt Creator to the Metrowerks Compiler that you want to use, by setting the Carbide directory of the Qt version to the corresponding Carbide.c++ installation directory.
You can check which Symbian SDKs and corresponding Qt versions are found in the Tools > Options... > Qt4 > S60 SDKs preference page.